Monday, August 26, 2013

4 months post-op

Wow - that is all I know to say! I'm now 4 months post op. I sent my pictures to Dr G and everything looks good. I've been back on the estradiol and testosterone combination to apply where the vestibule used to be to help keep the tissue healthy. I also got my lab results back and my free testosterone was half of what it should be so I started Axiron a week ago. I prefer the pellet, but it's just not feasible to go to San Diego to get it placed and my body eats it up way quicker than it is supposed to do. I've tried the Testim, but didn't seem to have any luck other than my leg hair growing entirely too fast. I haven't noticed much of a change with the Axiron yet other than persistent nausea and headaches, which I also experienced with the Testim. I always measure the exact amount with a syringe to make sure I don't get too much. Doctor Goldstein had me switch from daily to every other day to see if it will help with the symptoms. For the most part they are tolerable and just annoying although it can make being active in the heat a little bit difficult.

I've been doing physical therapy for a month now. I see my PT usually once a week for internal work and then use the dilator nightly. I usually give myself one night off a week typically after my last night of work. I've had some pretty good luck with therapy and Dr Jen is amazing if anyone is in the Ventura CA area. I am able to use the largest size dilator with minimal pain (3/10) with insertion that fades away after a few minutes. My PT suggested we try to have intercourse after I dilate for a few minutes first. We were both pretty nervous about this since I still have some pain and had originally planned to wait until dilating was completely pain free. However, we decided to give it a try and it was successful. We celebrated with sparkling apple cider and some strawberry cheesecake. I emailed Dr G later and of course even though it's late he responded with excitement. Have I mentioned how great of a doctor he is?

I never thought this is where we would be 4 months post op, but I have definitely been blessed! This whole vestibulodynia thing has been quite the journey. While I obviously would have rather not experienced this it has taught me to celebrate the small victories in life, be persistent with my healthcare, and keep open communication with my husband. Our relationship is definitely stronger as we've overcome each battle together. I can't wait to see what the next few weeks and months have in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment