Friday, May 10, 2013

Day of Surgery

I wasn’t nervous until the nurses began wheeling me into the OR, but that was short lived. Dr. Goldstein introduced me to all the nurses, scrub techs and anesthesia. Soon enough, I was completely unconscious. I don’t remember much except the last few minutes in recovery. I had really only been worried about being a needy patient, and sad enough that it was I became. I was overcome with nausea from the anesthesia. The anesthesiologist did give me a nice cocktail in the OR, but I still ended up incredibly nauseated which got worse with each movement. I tried to wait it out in the hospital, but realizing that it wasn’t getting much better I opted to go home instead of taking up a valuable bed. When we finally got home, I just crawled into bed. I woke up a few hours later and the nausea was mostly gone. Dr. Goldstein called a couple of times to check on me before the day was over.

Preparing for surgery:

  • Remove all metal and jewelry – leave it at home or have your family member keep it
  • Leave all valuables at home or let your family be responsible for them
  • Don’t wear dark colored nail polish – it can mess up the oxygen sensor reading (pulse ox)
  • Dress comfortably – something that’s easy to change in and out of
  • Check with the doctor to see if you can wear your contacts. Bring glasses & a case just to be safe.
  • Do not use lotion, oils or creams before your surgery
  • Make sure you have someone to drive you home or set up an appointment with a medical transfer van
  • Make a list of all medication you take, the dosage, and the last time you took them
  • Make a plan with your doctor about when to stop taking your prescriptions
  • Do not take any herbal medicine for 2 weeks prior to your surgery
  • Stop taking medications like Tylenol and Ibuprofen 5 days before your surgery
  • Follow the diet order – don’t eat or drink anything after midnight the night before

No comments:

Post a Comment